Friday, April 20, 2007

Reading here and there

Looks like it is the season to read. I have quite a list and quite an appetite. It's been sometime that I've read as much as I used to. Well, after I return home from work, a baby in one hand and a book in another seems to be working quite well for me. Let's see how it keeps up. In the mean time, I'am all ears for good books - please suggest some that you have read. My focus of the month is south-asian writers, no language barriers as long as it is in Eglish, Nepali, Hindi, Bengali or translation into aforementioned ones of any.

For now, here is my reading of this week...
I started reading Jhumpa Lahiri's "Interpreter of Maladies" last night. So far so good. I will hold my opinion on it until I finish reading it, hopefully tonight. In the mean time, the last two books that I read were Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha" and Samrat Upadhyay's "Royal Ghosts". Both authors were the first time for me so I had no preconceived ideas about their approach or the plots. Just prior to these two I had finished reading some Nepali books - Bhupi's poem collection and Paarijaat's "Shirish Ko Phool" and the likes from good ol' days. But, the last one was Narayan Wagle's "Palpasa Cafe".

On Samrat Upadhyay's Royal Ghosts:-
I had heard great many "wah-wah"s and "chi-chi"s, depending on who I spoke to, for Samrat's "Arresting God in Kathmandu" but nothing for this one. So, I decided to read it first - having absolutely no idea about his style and presentation. Let me start with the good part - Royal Ghost is an easy read. There is a vibe of magnetism in the way the stories develop and also in the way the characters come to life. The description of the life and city has a nostalgic aura to it not only to expatriates but also for someone who has been living in Kathmandu. Unfailingly, the stories will make the readers think, smile, fuss and grunt. What more can you ask for, right? However, story after story, one trend seems to emerge - the plots develop well, captivating the reader at each page turn. Then, all of a sudden when one finally feels "okay, we are going somewhere with this," ...bam...he drops it ! The story ends. One feels as if there was more to the story that the author chose not to tell. No, I was not looking for a typical masala-hindi-movie type of ending where everyone hugs and kisses everyone else. Rathar, I got a feeling that the author simply had no more juice flowing at a certain point and just stopped there. While the juice I speak of certainly flows abundantly in Samrat's narratives, I found the endings in his stories not well-rounded. Well, that's the only part I didn't like, and I didn't like it BIG time ! OK read otherwise. Next in line from the author - "Arresting God in Kathmandu".

On Herman Hesse's Siddhartha (Translation by Hilda Rosner) :-
Absolutely mesmerizing way of spinning off the spiritual quest! Such a small book and such a powerful punch ! All the while I was reading it, I was constantly reminded of another book of equally mesmerizing spiritual journey in Paramhansa Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi". I recommend this book to anyone who wants to start an inward quest on spiritualism. I don't want to spoil anyone's intake or experience by my limited capacity to describe this book - just go read it. Next in line from the author - "The Glass Bead Game" (also known as "Magister Ludi")

On Narayan Wagle's Palpasa Cafe :-
It is a very good read. I had a some idea on what kind of plot it was; so, I was not at all looking forward to read it. I now thank my Saasuji for bringing the book along with her from Nepal. I instantly loved it after reading the first few pages. It was the brilliantly refreshing style of his writing that kept me hooked despite the grim and somewhat solemn background. Now that I've read the book, I don't think there is any other way to tell that story. Biggest plus on the book - focus ! There aren't many characters to distract the author from hitting hard on what he intends to say; there aren't complicated and detailed biographies of the characters therein to distract the readers from getting to the centre of the whirlwind, so to speak; and, the author assumes an intelligent reader by not filling in the gaps for her. Speaking in the spirit of the book - it not only presents a canvas but also provides ample of colors and brushes to paint the picture with. Once again, I thank my saasuji. Next in line from the author- whatever he writes in future(in fiction form, that is).

2 comments:

you-know-who said...

If you want to read by a South Asian writer, I'd say The Namesake and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, otherwise I'd suggest Waiting for the Barbarians by J M Coetzee, if you havent read or Things Fall apart by Chinua Achebe

Anonymous said...

म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।