Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Excuses ...

Sorry friends, I didn't write for some days. To be precise, I didn't POST for some time - I did write. That I can not stop. There are plenty of reasons (read excuses) for my not writing - yada yada yada - and so on; naturally, you are least interested in any of those. Regardless, mostly I've been busy at ("pretending to") work, reading, cleaning, cooking (to entertain others),shopping and taking care of my lovely (and very,very,very pregnant) wife. If you are not familiar with it already, it is tax filing time in the US. In that spirit, here is the itemized description of my activities mentioned above:-
1. ("Pretending to") Work :- Yes, I am punctual and regular. I would like to think that I am good at what I do. Updating and honing of skill are obviously not entirely un-necessary, I agree. I don't lack enthusiasm or uplifted moral; in fact, I do have a plenty of it. It is simply that this past month has been a disastrously slow month at work. No new assignments. Like a typical proactive immigrant "Deshi" (a term coined by the real Deshis in the US to refer to themselves and anyone hailing from Indian sub-continent), I even asked for new assignments ...but, to no avail. I patiently sit down in my little cubicle 8-5 doing nothing but solving Sudoku or writing. I am getting very good at the former and have no idea about the later. I am begining to wonder if my work has already been assigned to a real Deshi in the actual Desh ! I doubt it since my company simply can not do that. But, the lethargic pace is just killing me. The nature of job(employment term) prohibits me from starting a new project on my own - so, there is nothing I can do about it. Either get paid to solve Sudoku until work is assigned or look for another job. I chose the former for the time being.

2. Reading: Just to make it clear - newspapers, magazines, blogs, websites don't count ! They are like brushing teeth or taking shower or eating - essentials and cannot be done without. During this period of silence my reading too was very limited. I read some, attempted some and gave up completely on some. One that has been on my reading list for quite some time is "Lincoln" by David Herbert Donald. For some reason, I never seem to complete this book. I have already tried twice. While I was at it this time, I finished two others (1984 by G.Orwell and Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand). Lincoln remains unfished. I am reading more and more non-fiction these days. "Work Hard, Study...and Keep Out of Politics!" by James Baker, II and "The Mighty & The Almighty" by Madeleine Albright are the last two that I read on non-fiction...also during my period of silence. I am thinking of reading some asian (Deshi !!) writers on fiction.<b> I am all ears to your suggestions of some contemporary ones</b>.

3. Cooking: We are new to the city that we are living in. It's just been about a year here. Where as, in the earlier city our social circle was huge and kept us quite busy just attending get-togethers, this city has been a blessing in disguise. We didn't entertain anyone or were entertained by anyone since we came to this city. Constact bickering, back-stabbing, फाल्तु -politicking, political गफ of the know-it-alls - those were the only things that we missed by not socializing with our countrymen. And, we were so pleased with it. But, we were cautiously searching for Nepalese people that we could socialize with. This time around, we intended not to invest too much emotion in these kinds of social network. So, even though we knew there were plenty of Nepalese about 40 miles from our place, we decided that it was not worth the travel. We would end up investing too much in something that is not worth it. As luck would have it, we came across a Nepali family in a Deshi store. They too are new to the city and were cautiously searching for others, just like us ! What are the odds? Best part of it ? They live only about 10 mins walk from our place !!! SO, there it was - a perfect match ..just waiting around the corner. We went to their place for an afternoon snack and dinner. Of course, we reciprocated with the same. It was fun and their two kids were fun too. That naturally meant a lot of cooking ! I just hope we continue cooking for this family and not too many others. Too much of sugar is bitter, isn't it? So is the company of Nepalese !! Keep it small & keep it cordial, I learnt it the hard way.

4,5 and 6. Cleaning, Shopping ,and Taking care: In case you don't know already, I am going to be a dad very soon. I had posted something about it earlier - here - too. During this silence, I was preparing for it too. I think we have done all the shopping - only a car-seat remains now. Just yesterday I fixed some furnitures, re-arranged the apartment, assembled a bed for the guests and the soon-to-be-grandparents arriving from Nepal. The carpet has already been steam-cleaned. Kitchen and bath remains to be disinfected - that's for this weekends "to-do" list. Since my wife is getting more and more uncomfortable each day , I intend to keep her away from the kitchen and any chores. The poor darling feels even more troubled for having to "just-sit-and-look" (in her words) at me huffing, panting, cursing and more cursing while I attend to the chores. I can't help the huff-n-puff but the cursing part I am doing just to keep her attention on me ! She does warn me from time to time that those words could be the first ones that our child actually says if I keep my habit ! I doubt it, though - not becoz I am confident of my parenting skills, but being a ज्वाँई doesn't permit you to speak those words in front of your in-laws ! Quite unlike our beloved माओवादी कमरेड lawmaker who gets to carry a weapon and curse as well. I protest - It's not fair !??&*&&!!? I should be allowed to do the same in my "house." :-D
Let me sum it all up by quoting another politician, of entirely different calibre and traits -- "I'll be back."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back
but i will go in hibernation now

Ajaya said...

Nice to read about your lifestyle. It's so interesting and impressive. I like it.

Anonymous said...

म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।